Jan 3, 2013

Cupcake Birthday Cards

Some of my friends are participating in a challenge on SCS called 100 Cards in 100 Days.  The objective is to make the 100 cards from your stash, purchasing nothing new for them unless you run out of adhesive.

Hmmmm.  I doubt that I can make a card every single day for 100 days.  But I am going to participate as often as I can.  I made 6 birthday cards to use for the Birthday Random Act of Kindness committee on Split Coast, of which I am a member.  (we send birthday cards to the lovely people who perform RAK's on Split Coast)  And all of the 6 birthday cards were made from things in my treasure trove:

















The cupcake is two stamps: frosting & cupcake with liner.  I fussy cut the liner in textured paper from a DCWV stack and embossed it with sparkly EP.  Then the cupcake was stamped again  onto dark brown Mulberry paper (remember back when tearing Mulberry paper and having the soft, feathery edges was the style? Well, I have loads of Mulberry paper in my stash, LOL)

Anyway, it did give the desired affect: brown texture like a chocolate cupcake.  However, it was  covered up by the frosting!  Ha ha, I didn't see that coming.

The shiny pink (gasp again!) DP is from scraps, the "Hey cupcake" is a hand cut banner.  The inside of the card is finished with another panel of the blue paper.

What I like about this card is that it is FLAT!  Well, there's just the smallest bit of dimension behind the cupcake to allow for the baker's twine.  But it should mail easily.

Today is the 3rd of January, and I have made 9 cards so far from my stash.  These 6 birthday cards and 3 cards for friends (the ones posted here on January 1st).

I still have a lot of stamps and paper out from making Christmas cards, maybe I'll get a jump on making those!  Thanks for stopping by and best wishes for a great day.



13 comments:

MiamiKel said...

Oh fun times! I've been seeing this on a ton of blogs but I'd be lucky to make one card a month, rofl! You can do it, Dar! Your cards are always so fun and have a bit of whimsy - just a refreshing breath of air! I look forward to all the 100 creations! Blessings!

Janet said...

Love that card!! SO cute! And I was wondering what to do with Mulberry paper I have. So you cut it out? Love it!
I also doubt if I can get 100 cards made in 100 days, but I can try!!

April said...

This card is fabulous! I love the details...nine already.....wow!

kel Acopan said...

super cute card!! i think i have mulberry paper somewhere in my stash... great idea and good job using old stuff!

kiwimeskreations said...

Darlene this is a lovely card, and the sentiment is a great fit too!
I still use the feathery look with the mulberry paper at times :-)
Blessings
Maxine

Barb said...

Cute card--love the sweet cupcake. I am sure the RAK members will love getting one of these!

:: BlueInks :: said...

What a neat card! I love how you tied the cupcake base in bakers twine!

~Paola~ said...

whoaaaa...U'r eon a roll girlfriend!!LOVEEEE tbis sparkly cupcake and the cute sentiment on the inside too! Beautiful d/ps used here...wow!!
Soooo glad U're in the 100 days challenge!!♥

Shelly Schmidt said...

Yum Yum! Awesome card(s) and love the shiny frosting- and I love chocolate. Such a great idea to make 100 cards in 100 days-a fabulous idea!

Margaret said...

Lovely card and the sparkles on the cupcake just make it all pop! What a challenge you're taking part in. Good luck with that!

Patty Gorka said...

What a cute birthday card, love the cupcake with the twine tied on it. Best of luck with your 100 cards in 100 days.

kadie said...

Yummers! That cupcake would certainly make any birthday SO SO SWEET! Great card, Darlene! hugs, Kadie

Marilyn said...

So cute.. and who doesn't love a cupcake!