Apr 11, 2024

Hot Mess with Alcohol Inks & Yupo Silver Sparkle

Hot Mess = Success Day is the 15th!  Every month a group of friends challenge ourselves to get messy. We can do any sort of card or technique, as long as it meets our personal definition of getting messy.

This month I decided to play with Yupo Paper and some Alcohol Inks by Tim Holtz/Ranger.  I took two sheets of Silver Sparkle Yupo paper and applied the ink with a blender sponge tool that Tim Holz uses.

Here are my two panels:




This one used 2 colors on the sponge, Dijon and Lagoon.  Of course they blended to a green. Which I liked so I used it.  Look how glittery that paper is!








The second panel has just the Lagoon blue ink applied.  The photo really doesn't do it justice.




Here's the finished card:




The balloons were die cut from a section of the green panel.  Turns out that Yupo paper is REALLY hard to die cut. Who knew?

Once I separated out the left and right balloon pieces from the die cut, I traced around them and hand cut the blue inserts to make the blue ones.

The rest of the green panel was embossed with a striped design and the balloons were glued onto the embossed panel. Hint: it would have been better to use the clear glue dots rather than liquid glue. The liquid glue moved around too much.

The Birthday sentiment is by Taylored Expressions and colored with markers.



All in all, I learned a few things about working with the ink, paper and die cutting it. That makes me happy!  I will be trying this again soon.  Maybe for next month's Hot Mess challenge. 

Be sure to stop by the Hot Mess Team and admire their creations!  Here are their links:


2 comments:

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Such a fun birthday card, Darlene. I like the colors, too. You did a great job!

Carol W said...

WOW WOW WOW What an impressive card. I absolutely LOVE it. Great job.