Jun 13, 2021

Hot Mess = Success!

 

It's the 13th of the month and time for another Hot Mess = Success card making challenge!  The concept is that even though the creation process is messy, we can end up with success...well...in my case, most of the time!

Edit: When-oh-when will I get it through my head that the posting date is the 12th, not the 13th???

My friends have been inspiring me with their amazing results using various techniques with  alcohol inks, Yupo paper, etc.  So I bought a few colors and hit the YouTube channels for some instructions. 

Jennifer Mcguire's Video for Alcohol Resist Stamping caught my attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGCk30_grqc&t=535s

Here are my two panels:


The larger panel on the right is on Yupo and has Dijon and Citrus Ranger Inks blended after spritzing with rubbing alcohol.  

Then, ink up a stamp with Ranger's Alcohol Resist Lift Ink and stamp onto the Yupo panel, and then onto regular card stock.  If using a Misti type tool, you could repeat this until the image on your regular card stock panel is darker.  

Take a paper towel and blot the Yupo panel and image until it emerges from the inked background.  Be careful to rotate your paper towel so that you're always using a fresh part and not transferring ink back onto the panel.

Here's my first attempt at this last month:





I like the Yupo panel colors and swirls better than this go around.  However, here's my Lesson Learned:

The dandelion stamp creates too faint of an image to get good results.  At least it did for me.






Then trim up your panels and make your cards.  My end results:


Next time, I think I'll create some color on the card stock panel, maybe use a mask to create an oval or something similar.  Perhaps using a light colored card stock, or getting more colors on the Yupo panel.  I thought the image stamped onto the white card stock looked too stark, so I sponged some light yellow onto it.

Both of these cards are hitting the mail to my good friend in NH who is having her first knee replacement surgery later this week.  

Now I'm off to these blogs to admire the Hot Mess Successes created by my friends:

Kelly

Jeanette

Barb

Terry

Carol

Do yourself a favor and see what they've created!




3 comments:

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Darlene, this technique looks so fun and your cards are beautiful! Thanks for the tips and information. Maybe someday I'll give it a try.

kiwimeskreations said...

What a great technique, and well done, despite what you may think Darlene. Love the card with the yellow accents - that is gorgeous
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Barb said...

How Fun--such sweet cards. Love these and need to check out the video!