Jun 15, 2014

Dueling Gardeners

Time for another round of the Dueling Darlings!

My wonderful partner in crime for the Darlings is Tami and we thought that gardening would be a fun theme.  For the Dazzlers I selected "Gardening Shelf" by Stamps Happen.  Here is my card:



The papers are from K & Co's "Lemon Citron" pack, the ribbon is from Ribbon Boutique (Hobby Lobby) and the fun Garden Tool brads are from Eyelet Outlet.
 Lots of improvisations while making this card.   First off, I didn't realize that my circle punch wouldn't be centered on the front panel until too late.  Hence the ribbon at the top of the card!

Here's a side view showing some depth:

...And here is the inside panel:
The second improvisation came when coloring the image.  I really did NOT like the background shading that I ended up with, so fussy cutting was the only option.  Here's a closer view of the image:



To me it really looks like D.  Morgan's art, but it is not labeled as such.


Tami and I have also asked that each team member post a gardening tip, and here's mine:

Pay attention to the soil and roots!  So much of the success or failure of plants goes on below the soil line.  Some roots prefer more air than others.  Some prefer dryer conditions, others thrive on constant moisture.  Usually, if a plant has the right conditions for their roots, it can withstand almost anything above the soil line!

That's it for me this round - and I wasn't even late!  (yes, it really is me posting hahaha)  Now it's off to visit the blogs of the other Dazzlers and the Divas for more gardening delights.  Check them out, links are in my sidebar!

11 comments:

Carol W said...

Wow, wow, wow, amazing card Darlene.
I love how you fussy cut the image and framed it with the front circle panel. How very clever....Great job on the kit and challenge. I'm so blessed that we are friends and duelers...take care and don't over do with all you have going on....

dweatter said...

Wow! What a great idea to cut a circle in the card front to showcase the image. It also really shows off the designer papers you used. Wonderful card.

:: BlueInks :: said...

Such a creative card! I really like the circle and how you 'had' to add the ribbon - looks like you planned it that way!

It was fun to host this round with you. Great card for sharing!!!

jimlynn said...

Love it!!! Darlene, this is so creative and pretty. Love the way you cut the hole in that panel and then have the scene inside. VERY nice!
Lynn

Barb said...

WOW--your card did not disappoint! It is stunning. I love the punch out "window" into your potting table--the layout is wonderful! Great coloring and I sure love that image. If a few of them happen my way in the next few moths, I would be a very happy stamper!

kiwimeskreations said...

Your card all looks a very well planned to me - an error is just a chance to be creative :-), and this is a gorgeous card Darlene.
Love your tip - that is so true!
Blessings
Maxine

Shelly Schmidt said...

I am loving this card- the circle die cut with the image showing through is awesome. The ribbon is a great touch as well.

~Paola~ said...

awww this is sooo lovely!! Great job Darlene, love the peek 'inside' through the circle and how you showcased the beautiful designer paper too...I had to really look twice to check the 'error' of yours! PPPFFTTTTT error? what error!! tz tz tz...It turned out GREAT!!!! Thank YOU for the awesome kit and a great challenge!!! xox ♥

Melina said...

The little garden tools are too cute! love the window :)

Margaret said...

Love it. The inside panel is fabulous and the colors are so pretty and cheerful. Love the whole card.

Terry Ladwig said...

This was a great image to use for this round!

Your card is so creative...love the layout and the "peek-a-boo" circle cut out of the front with the image inside!

Great job Darlene!!