Jun 30, 2013

Crafters of Faith June Challenge: Dairy or Farm Theme

A wonderful group of friends on Split Coast, Crafters of Faith, hold a monthly challenge and this month's theme was selected by Barb:

Dairy or Farm Related Cards

Barb lives in the wonderful state of Wisconsin, home to amazing dairy farms and fun state fairs!  So it is a natural theme for her to come up with during the month of June.  Here is my card:

I didn't have a single stamp of a cow...and limited options for a farm theme!  However, my search uncovered this neglected set from Stampin Up: "Country Morning".  So, it was promptly mounted up, cleaned and inked with VersaFine Vintage Sepia ink onto SU's Naturals cardstock.  It's colored with Prismacolor and Derwent pencils, using gamsol to blend.

The Heagon embossing folder was brayered with Creamy Caramel ink and the same Naturals cardstock was embossed.  Word Window punches were used for the sentiment and yellow twine and a wooden button (discovered in my ancient sewing stash) completed the card.

Barb also asked us to post any memories of farming.  Well, I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, where, at the time, our house was set into the woods in an undeveloped area.  Our nearest neighbors were:
   A turkey farm
   A mink farm
   and a small family with a couple of acres used for cows and horses.
We always seemed to have visitors from any of these farms showing up unexpectedly in our yard and surrounding woods.  The only ones to watch out for were the minks, they are mean little devils and have sharp teeth!  We always kept a big distance if we came across one of the escaped minks.

Thanks for stopping by today.  Take a few minutes to visit the other members of our group-their blogs are listed in my side bar to the right.  I'm off to do that right now!

11 comments:

MiamiKel said...

Cock-a-doodle-doo! I see you are up with the roosters today! Hee hee! DELIGHTFUL, I say - the hexagon embossing folders is the bomb! (that almost went into my SU basket, too!) Gorgeous card creation, love your farm story, too :) Blessings, dear friend! xoxo

Barb said...

Darlene--what a cute card. I can almost hear him crowing! Great coloring and a perfect folder for the background.

Thanks for joining me in celebrating June Dairy Month--frozen custard for all!

Jacquel said...

Too cute Darlene & I had the exact same idea for the background but changed it as I made my card for today....great job on the challenge Hun!!!

maryrose said...

Love your card, Darlene! I have that embossing folder on my SU wishlist! The rooster is so perfect for this card. Blessings!

Liz Williams said...

Love the chicken wire pattern background. I really need one of those. A cute card . You and I seem to agree that roosters rule to roost.

marsha said...

Wow, this is such a great rooster! I love the chicken wire and that gorgeous red gingham - makes me want to crow!
Hugs and blessings,
Marsha

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Darlene, I think your card is fabulous! Love the farm-feel of it and the great layout!

Now about the mink farmer......wow!

:: BlueInks :: said...

That embossed background with the ink is just perfect! It goes with the image like they were meant to be.

The closest thing to a dairy I ever saw was a Dairy Queen! ;)

Shelly Schmidt said...

I love roosters- love your card- perfect for the farm theme- love the coloring!!!

Margaret said...

What a cute card. You did a fabulous job with coloring the image. Great layout. Sounds like a fun childhood.

Carol W said...

This is PERFECT...love the background and the chicken...colored so well...You rocked this challenge for sure...WAY TO GO!!!