May 28, 2012

Mother's Day Cards (at last!)

Yes, I know that I'm very tardy with this!  Thankfully my wonderful mother is very understanding.  (or at least she lets me off the hook gracefully, and isn't that what we as mothers try to do for our children?)

Anyway, the stamping room/home office painting and wallpapering project is almost completed, and I was able to get in there this weekend and begin to put things back.  First order of business was to clear off the counter top and get back to my ideas for Mother's Day cards.  (my MIL's card went out on schedule and was not late - whew!)

Here's one that took me a couple of attempts to get it right:

This is my first time making an easel card.  I wanted to showcase the pretty 6x6 panel.

I started this card before we tore the room apart, thinking that I knew exactly how to get the desired result.  Uh...not so much LOL!

Then we decided to paint & wallpaper, tore the room apart, packed everything up & moved it all about the house, thinking that it would only take a week to finish the room.  Uh...not so much.


A few months ago I bought this template from The Crafters Workshop.  I knew the minute that I saw it that it was destined to be Mom's Mother's Day card.  Guess I should have started it way back then.

Anyway, I sponged on various colors of SU inks, then with the template on, misted with Stardust Finishing Spray by A Muse. (love that stuff!)


Then removed the template and sponged the background grass & sky.

Here are two close ups but I'm not sure that the shimmer shows up well. The bottom panel for the easel has the die cuts popped up and the sentiment (SU) and butterfly are shimmered also.

The CS for the easel is softly colored with greens, lavender and magenta, sort of splashed & daubed on it.  It's a pretty paper from SEI "Couture" collection.

The next card that I wanted to try is from a stamp set by Fiskars called Asian Inspired and is a set of 12 clear stamps.  The over sized background stamp of blossoms (cherry?) really inspired me!














CS and chalks are by SU (Brilliant Blue & Pink Passion). (Yes, I used pink.  It's not a card for me remember?)  The panel is stamped with Tuxedo Black Memento ink and chalked.  The lantern and symbol were stamped with Brilliant Blue and clear EP was used to give them some shine.  The inside panel was corner punched (Martha Stewart) and the floral cutouts were stamped, embossed, cut out & mounted as accents.  They are all from the Fiskars stamp set.

Well, my editor is demanding my attention right now...gotta keep the boss happy! Thanks for stopping by!



14 comments:

jimlynn said...

Darlene, both of these are so pretty! Love the flowers on that second card and all the butterflies on the first!! Beautiful creations!

Glad you got all that wallpapering, etc. done. Know that's a big relief.

(Love your "editor) too!)

Lynn

April said...

So beautiful!!

You always put so much love in your cards! I am sure that is why they always turn out so beautiful!

Hugs to you!

:: BlueInks :: said...

Your mom is going to love this card!

The cherry blossom card is really pretty. You decorated the interior perfectly.

I like your editor!

paige said...

Beautiful cards Darlene! Love the new toys you used to create them!

Carol W said...

Oh my goodness Darlene, These are both fabulous cards...wow...stunners for sure...I love how you used the template and sponged in the color...now why didn't I think of that...and the Asian masterpiece...beautiful...great job on both cards...hope you are having a wonderful weekend...

Marilyn said...

Fabulous cards Darlene and the apple blossom one is so pretty with the pinks in it.
Your 'keyboard ornament'is very cute!

Margaret said...

Both cards are simply awesome! Love the template and what you did with it, but those Cherry Blossoms are beautiful. Great job, and I'm sure they will be well received.

Terry Ladwig said...

Very pretty cards Darlene! Love the easel card and how you put it all together!

Laura said...

SUper cute Cards. Love'm...TFS

MiamiKel said...

OH my gosh, how cute the editor is! And smart! :)

What a beautiful cards, Darlene - superbly created! x0x0

Shelly Schmidt said...

I love the effect of the card using the easel...but I gotta say the 2nd card- be it the Asian theme or the Pink.....be still my heart!!! Gorjuss!

Janet said...

Darlene, both of your cards are SO pretty!!
Your "editor" is so cute on the keyboard!! How is his assistant Lou??

~Paola~ said...

holeeee hannaaaaaaaaaaaa..I am soo glad I don't have to chose only one winner amongst these two awesome cards!!
Loveeee your easel card w/ spring flowers and pretty butterflies and of course being an easel square card I like it even more...I am sure your mOm will treasure such labour of love ♥
As far as the second card...welllll...as you know I adore Asian cards and this stunning beauty is no exception to the rule! woww..what a stunning cherry blossom b/ground!!
Your added touches makes this card flawless too....(I hope U'll consider using this set too on my next Asian swap...*wink*) ♥

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Beautiful cards, my friend.... and good to see your feathered friend, too!