Aug 12, 2020

My First Hot Mess!!

I have been invited to join a group of friends on Split Coast Stampers and participate in a monthly challenge: "Hot Mess Success".  Each month on the 12th we are to post a card that we made which was messy during creation.

This is another way for me to stretch my creativity because when my card making gets messy, I get anxious and usually start over.  Strange that other hobbies like cooking or gardening can get quite messy and it doesn't bother me one bit!

Anyway...Here is my first Hot Mess:

The stamp and sentiments are from Club Scrap's July, 2020 kit, "Prism".  The crystal and "sparkle" sentiment were heat embossed using Ranger's Black Sparkle embossing powder.  

The crystal and the blue background panel are on watercolor paper and the messy part was using Brusho Crystal Colour.  This is my first card with Brusho's.

Here are a couple of pics showing what I did:

The green panel is my first attempt.  The image is embossed and then I painted water on the sections, and sprinkled turquoise, then yellow Brusho powder.  

The colors weren't covering the way I wanted so I tried adding more water with the paintbrush. Yep, you guessed it - green was my end result! Hahahaha.  So I tried misting with a spray bottle just to see what would happen.  Interesting lesson for the future.

The red and yellow one is my second try, after fussy cutting.  This time I made a small palette and painted the red and yellow onto the paper. I was much happier with the result.

Here's the background panel using turquoise Brusho paint. I sprayed the water color paper thoroughly with water then sprinkled on the Brusho, waited a while to see how much it would migrate on it's own.  Then I sprayed a bit more and was smart enough to quit while ahead!  Both the crystal and this panel had to dry overnight.

Day 2, I fussy cut the crystal and decided that I needed more sparkle!  Out came the Stardust Finishing Spray by A Muse Studios.  Holding my breath that the colors wouldn't run on the crystal image I lightly misted.  Some of the red bled onto yellow but not too bad and I was happy that more sparkle was added.

These were left to dry overnight.  Day 3 was assembly.

Below is a picture of the finished card at an angle to show the dimension and some of the glimmer from the finishing spray.

I had a blast doing this and still have some stains on my hands and one fingernail to prove the mess that I made!

Hop to these blogs to check out their Hot Mess Successes:







Barb said...

What a great card! I love the bold colors and I am impressed that you used Brushos! I still have the ones we shared and need to break them out! Thanks for joining us--welcome!

Carol W said...

WOW WOW WOW Darlene what an awesome first project. I have never heard of sparkle dust finishing spray. I can't wait to check it out. I love your card. I'm impressed that you used brusho I have really struggled with it and you do such a good job with it. Great job on this card. WAY TO GO!

kiwimeskreations said...

What a wonderful result Darlene - I love playing with my brushos as you never know what you will end up with. Love that you let some of the brushos 'go wild' and painted with others - great variation of use. Always a 'breath holding' time if you add sparkle to them later :)
Stay safe

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Oh my goodness, Darlene... your card is gorgeous and your "tutorial" of how it came to be shows how much effort you took in making this beauty. I am in awe!

Welcome to the Hot Mess Success group!