Jun 27, 2020

Summer Mini Card Camp-Day 4

Have you been able to follow along and experiment with us?  I certainly hope so!  
Kelly @ sandcastlestamper organized four of us to host a Mini Card Camp - virtual of course!  The beauty of it being virtual is that you can join in on any day at any time.
The line up of camp classes and instructors this week are:
Monday/June 22 ~ Kelly @ Sandcastlestamper

Tuesday/June 23 ~ Darlene 
Accordingtobijou

Wednesday/June 24 ~ Jeanette 
Creativeplay

Thursday/June 25 ~ Barb
inkingintoretirement

Visit their blogs and try some of their great ideas!

I am late in posting my response to Barb's tutorial hosted on Thursday.  My sincere apologies Barb.

However, I learned a lot from this technique and had a lot of fun while I was making mistakes learning (haha hehe)

Barb's tutorial called for using a stencil, water color markers, an aqua painter and rainbow colors. 

The technique is to adhere the stencil securely to the water color paper.  Then using the water color markers and aqua painter, color in the open spaces of the stencil.  

Barb recommended Pixie Spray - a spray adhesive she applied to her stencil and then adhered the stencil to her paper.  I thought, "Well, I don't have any Pixie Spray but that's ok, I can do this".  

Then I set about finding a good stencil. I have DOZENS of stencils, but most are small and finely detailed, not great for this technique.  I thought "No problem, I'll improvise a little but keep the essence of her tutorial".

Well, here's the best of three attempts!  I blended rainbow colors (green, orange, yellow & blue) for the background.  So far, so good.  Then I tried various ways of taping down the Bamboo Stencil, holding it, etc. and using a dark green marker.  

First lesson: Paper needs to dry before trying the stencil and marker step.  So I started over.
Second lesson: More tape doesn't work!  Now I'm going to buy the Pixie Spray!  Started over.
Third lesson: every type of ink pad will not apply ink on the paper, it just stays on the stencil.  This is a thin plastic stencil so I thought that it would work!  Started over again!

Here's my finished card modifying Barb's tutorial:

The background is colored with Karin Brushmarker Pro markers, and blended with an aqua painter.  This bamboo is stamped on top after the panel dried.  I did honor Barb's black die cut element with the "Party Grill" die by Memory Box.  Added the seashells brad and my card was finally finished.

Thank you Barb!  I'm sorry that I had to modify the technique due to supplies on hand.  But thanks to you I did get a good testing of my new markers.  Plus I learned about Pixie Spray and how useful it is!

That brings the Summer Mini Card Camp to a close...but stay tuned for another version of Mini Card Camp this Fall.  We hope that you try some or all of our tutorials.

5 comments:

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Darlene, often times success is the result of trial and error. You did well; you didn't give up. And in the end you created a beautiful card with the colorful background. I admire your persistence and your talent!

Barb said...

Darlene--I love your card. The colors are great and I really like the stamps you picked. It is a class and that is how we learn--so I am glad you enjoyed it. Pixie Spray is awesome!

MiamiKel said...

Darlene - your card is awesome! So much detail and the colors are so vivid and wonderful! I love that you tried (and tried again) - success! I am so glad you joined us this week - it's hard to get card after card done but you did it and with such joy! Hugs!

kiwimeskreations said...

Loving your work Darlene with the vibrant coloured backgrounds and the silhouette images - and awesome work modifying the technique... that's how we learn! Looking forward to the fall camp :)
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Margaret said...

Your finished product turned out fabulous. Such a learning experience.