Apr 18, 2013

Nautical Cards for Some Special Men

Here are two additional cards that I made a couple of weekends back using the swing card or flip flop technique that I learned from a wonderful tutorial on this blog.

Here's a birthday card for our son:






This is the card closed.  I wanted to use the pretty teal/turquoise colors because it's one of his favorite colors.






To the right is a view as it begins to swing open, the ship panel will flip over to reveal the Happy Birthday panel on the other side.










Here is the card opened and laying flat.


The sailor's knot is tied from some decorative trim bought a couple of years ago from a sewing store.  The brads don't show up very well in the photos but the have sort of a nautical/compass style to them.  They are from SU.



The right panel is a cream/turquoise color of Mullberry paper that is stamped with some Stipple Shells by SU, using Creamy Caramel ink.

Below is a Thinking of You card for my Dad.  He was in the Navy and has always loved the ocean, ships, etc.


In case you are impressed with the Sailor's Knots, well...don't give me the credit!!  No matter how hard I tried, I just could not accomplish it on my own despite drawings, online videos, etc.  LOL

My husband came to the rescue and (of course) after a whole 3 minutes with a drawing, whipped up the first knot for our son's card.  Guess I'll keep him around for another 30 years, huh?!

Thanks for stopping by and thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.  They always brighten my day.

Blessings to you and yours!

7 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Love these Darlene - fabulous themes and design, and the knot just make the cards. So glad you have the help with them :-). You inspired me to try the technique and although my first card was not quite perfect, I enjoyed it.
Blessings
Maxine

:: BlueInks :: said...

I was admiring those brads when I first saw your card! Your DH did a great job on the knots. Yea, go ahead and keep him!

Carol W said...

Awesome cards!!!!Darlene this is amazing...what a great card...so perfect for a masculine card.WOW !!!

Margaret said...

Great cards. I love your layout and card design.

Teresa Kline said...

wow, so many fabulous details...luv the knot....hope you have a wonderful week!

enjoy *~*

paige said...

Your card is amazing! You put a lot of love and creativity into this one!

Shelly Schmidt said...

SO wonderful- I have been wanting to try this for a long time- just need to 'do it'!!! Love the nautical image too : )