Apr 15, 2013

April 15th - It Isn't Just for Taxes!

That's right, the 15th of April is also the day we get our duel on.  A great group of card makers on Split Coast, calling ourselves the Dueling Darlings post our cards for a monthly challenge on the 15th.  Each month two of us hosts the challenge, sending kits to our team.

This month it was my turn to host for the Dazzlers and Tami hosted the Divas.  Since it is National Gardening Month we chose a floral theme and sent out the kits.

Here's what I came up with:

This is a double swing (or flip flop) technique that I learned a week ago.  There are many tutorials out there but this is the one that I used.  I changed the size a bit to suit my size of Nestie dies and the image.

Now, about the image...Tami and I agreed to use a floral image, of course I have LOTS of floral stamps.  But my problem came when trying to match DP with any of my images.  Nothing clicked, and I didn't want to go out and buy any more DP.

So I tried the opposite approach.  Starting with the DP that I did wand to use (SEI's Field Notes) this stamp from SU's Sweet Seasons practically jumped out of the case at me!  So that's what I ended up with for the kits.

Here's a view of the card beginning to open.





 And opened a little more:

And beginning to show the other side of the flip panel:

And, finally, fully opened and flat:

This card is going off to my Mom.  With a masculine card with the same fold for my Dad.  (I'll show you that one tomorrow).

I hope that the Dazzlers enjoyed creating something with my kit this month.  I tried to include a wide variety of goodies from my stash so that everyone could find something to play with!  Links to the Divas & Dazzlers are in my side bar.  Be sure to visit each of their blogs and leave them some much deserved love!

Thank you for dropping by today.  Enjoy!

13 comments:

Barb said...

Oh My! This card is stunning! What a great image you chose for the Dazzlers--I love the colors you used on your card. And--the layout is perfect for this card!

I am so glad we are both members of this wonderful group of ladies!

Melina said...

It twirls! This is so pretty Darlene! You rocked this one Sweetie :)

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

WOW!!! Darlene, I love the fold on your card! So very clever! And your image - colored perfectly! Lovely card in so many ways!

I loved the kit you mailed out to all of us. Such beautiful elements! THANK YOU!!!

jimlynn said...

So very pretty and extra creative! Love it.
Lynn

:: BlueInks :: said...

So pretty and creative! Your colors are spot on and the fold is perfect for the feel of the card.

I especially like how you colored the grass on the image. Very cool.

Great duel this month - thanks!

Judy McMullen said...

Wow! Awesome card from a wonderful kit, Darlene! Now I'm not a Dazzler but I do have those SEI "Field Notes" papers and you are really inspiring me to use them with this gorgeous creation. Love, love, love the swing fold card! Those pretty softly colored pearls are the perfect embellishment for this card with that sweet image, lacey doily and lovely dsp. You really created a fantastic card and I'm sure your mom is going to love it!!

kiwimeskreations said...

What a sweet nostalgic feel to this card - it's beautiful, Darlene - love the way you used the blue bling to cross over and tie the sides together visually.
Blessings
Maxine

kadie said...

Beautiful card, Darlene! I love your creative fold and how you incorporated all of those yummy patterned papers! Great use of the doily too! What a fun kit you had for the Dazzlers! Hugs to you, Sweet Darlene! kadie

April said...

I have tried this fold before and failed, so off to take a look at this tutorial.....

After I tell you how beautiful yours is!! Loved the kit and your take on it!

~Paola~ said...

oh myyyy Darlene! This fold looks sooo beautiful and unique...but it 'scares' me as it looks veryyyy complicated too! You did an amazing job at it, gorgeous layout and coloring of the beautiful image too. I thoroughly enjoyed working with such great kit! Thanks again my friend!.....and remember...no more....you know what! *wink wink*
Love ya! ♥

Terry Ladwig said...

Wow Darlene, I love the flip flop fold of your card and how you were able to use all of the pretty papers you sent us!

Great card, and so glad you are a Dazzler!

MiamiKel said...

Oh my, what a fancy fold indeed! This is a vision! What a lovely pairing of papers, too :) Great job on your card kit!

So happy that you are BLOOMING this month with the DDD! xoxo

Carol W said...

wow,wow,wow....how in the world did you do that card..(I know followed a tutorial), but even following directions I do believe I would mess it up in numbers...Great card, very impressive and I'm loving the dsp as well...(PINK????) hmmmm....great job my sweet friend...♥