Feb 13, 2013

Cards 37-40 (Or Last Weekend's Experiments)

By now you probably realize that I am struggling to keep up with participating in a challenge on SCS "100 Cards in 100 Days".  I figure even if I fall short of the 100 card goal, at least I will be using up some of my treasures since the one requirement is that nothing new is bought or used on any of the 100 cards.

Last weekend, between shoveling the snow that the blizzard dumped here, I had time to play, with varied success, as you shall see.

Hmmm, let's start with the success!  Daffodils are my absolute favorite flower.  The valley where I grew up in Washington State had huge bulb farms and Daffodils would cover the landscape as far as you could see!  A sea of bright yellow, seemingly right to the base of Mt. Rainier!  Out came my SU set "Flower of the Month" and I set about to make some March birthday cards.

Here's the inside:

Fiskars embossing plate on the purple CS panel, SU markers to color the tags & a SU wheel to create the bottom border.

The Happy Birthday label is a die from A Muse, their "Vintage Labels" set.

I'm pretty happy with these two cards.


Now for my other two...these will go into my "Idea Pile".  Cards that I can use later to remember what didn't work out so well.  Do you have ones like that?

I've had a lot of fun playing with the Chalkboard Technique.  Here's what I came up with:

I like the ribbon threaded through the MS punched strip, it actually matches the gold paper scallop.

The flowers are from "Upsy Daisy" by SU.  Stamped in white pigment ink and colored with chalks.

The DP is from a pack from DCWV: "The Natural Stack".   The inside is finished with more of this DP and is stamped with the "You're on my mind" sentiment from the same set.









The other card used the Ginko image a SU hostess set from a couple of years ago:


I couldn't get the right color for the berries with my chalks so that was disappointing.  But I do love that lace.  Here's a closer look:
























Why are these in my "Idea Pile" (also called "It Didn't Quite Work Out" stack)?  Well...I've found out that the chalkboard technique really works best on completely smooth CS.  The black that I used here has a slight texture, making even coverage difficult.  Plus, I found that it was hard to wipe off the excess chalk around the images.  They actually look better in the pictures than they do in person.  (that's a first for me LOL)

But hey - it's always fun to play with ink & paper, even when some things just don't turn out!

Thanks for reading my long post today.  I'll be back with a few more cards to add to my running tally soon.  Peace!

4 comments:

:: BlueInks :: said...

Someone has been really busy! Such vibrant colors. Great job on these, Darlene.

jimlynn said...

Darlene, I think ALL of these are just fabulous!!! Love them!
Lynn

MaxineD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MaxineD said...

Lovely cards Darlene - love the blue and lime on the top card.

I use coloured pencils when using the chalk board technique - and to remove excess chalk, have you tried using a normal eraser - works a treat!

Blessings
Maxine