Jan 12, 2022

Hot Mess = Success! January

 Today is the 12th and it's time for the Hot Mess = Success challenge.  This challenge is the brain child of our friend Kelly on Splitcoast Stampers.  The whole idea is to get messy. The messiness can take any form, just as long as it meets our personal definition of messy.  And, from this, will emerge a card.

Here's my final result:

Everything here started as plain white card stock.

This is my first run using Creative Expression's Cosmic Shimmer Metallic Gilding Polish.  

The background features Mediterranean Blue and Lush Pink.

A Mandala stencil by Gina K Designs was then used with Gold Treasure Gilding Polish.

White card stock was sponged with Mediterranean Blue and Lush Pink for the shadow die cut on the "Hello" sentiment.  The hello was die cut with stock sponged with the Gold Treasure Gilding Polish.  Both of these dies are also by Gina K Designs.





Here's a picture of the card base showing the gold, blue and pink polishes sponged around the edges.  It occurs to me that this would be a great frame for a stamped image in the white center!




This is what the cut panel looks like before the Mandala was stenciled on.







Here's the Mandala stencil, taped onto the panel and with the gold polish. The polish dries very quickly and I found that daubing a thicker layer worked best with the stenciling step.

I didn't use Pixie Spray to adhere the stencil to the panel. I used Scrapbook.com's Mint Tape to hold the panel to my work surface and the stencil.  If you haven't tried this tape, you really should.  It's great!

The Gilding Polish is water soluble so when I removed it from the panel I dropped it into some soapy water and came back to it later. A quick swipe with a rag and rinse with clean water and the stencil was like new!



During the process, I had the required mess on my hands, work mat, etc. But it cleans up so easily, so it didn't make me stressed.  In fact, I polished a nail and really liked how it looked.


There are a lot of videos on You Tube with tutorials for using Metallic Gilding Polish.  It's a very fun and versatile product.


I hope you try some out.  



Now I'm off to these blogs to admire the Hot Mess Successes created by my friends:

Kelly

Jeanette

Barb

Terry

Carol

Stop by their blogs and see what they've created!

5 comments:

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Darlene, your card is absolutely stunning! The bold stencil in gold is the perfect complement to the rich colors of the background!

Earthbound Nomad said...

Your cards are beautiful!

MiamiKel said...

Oh my GOODNESSS, DARLENE! WOW! This is a stunner! I am in awe! First, believe it or not I scanned the photos first then went back and read and I spied the 'blend panel" and immediately thought please tell me she didn't toss that, LOL! I agree - a frame! I hope to see it again on your blog :) Your card is just GORGEOUS - love love love!

Barb said...

This is so fun--what a pretty card. I love the color and the stencil is so cool!

Carol W said...

This card is awesome Darlene. The colors you chose are so rich and beautiful. I really like how you polished your nail as well it is really pretty. Your card is outstanding. WAY TO GO!